Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Sponsor Forums > Motorcars Mahindra

Motorcars Mahindra Our Cleveland Heights Mahindra Dealer! Checkout Motorcars Mahindra for more information!

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Default I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

Register to stop seeing this ad!

Sorry to keep you all waiting....... (long drive but worth it).

Pee Wee - your hilarious (post poned til next week - thats funny).

O.K. boys and girls. Chris is absolutely correct. The trucks are not U.S. spec trucks and yes, I was aware before driving down but didnt care. It's closer than anything else I have driven!!!!!

The first truck I drove was basically all Indian specs. It was the Gray TR40 (with roll bar and lights) seen in the forum photo gallary. Manual transmission, aftermarket radio, etc. No waiting required to start and quiet. You could easily forget your driving a diesel (at least by the noise). The power didn't blow my socks off but I was far from disappointed. Road noise, handling, were both better than expected. Here you go moulin6801, the steering wheel vibration was greater than I would like at idle and the turning radius needs improvement. Because this truck was FAR from what we're getting I didn't pick the thing apart for fit and finish but it was better than reports I had read on the net.

The 2nd truck I drove was the Black TR20 (also seen in the forum gallery). Before I had even pulled out of the parking lot it was very clear that this was an improved version of the TR40 I drove. This truck REALLY got my attention. Tourqe was pentiful, Suspension was firm but didn't ride rough. The brakes will put you through the glass until you get used to them. I didn't want to give this truck up so quickly. The doors sounded solid when closing and I didnt have the calipers to mesure the metal thickness so I did the push and slam method. The metal is much thicker than a Tacoma. I think the Tacoma uses a 36 guage thickness and our Mahindra will be around 54 guage but don't quote me (It's close). I didnt have any off road testing opportunities but on a u-turn I drove over a concrete lane divider to feel how the truck reacted on the uneven surface and was very satisfied.

I also drove the Scorpio. This had the Automatic transmission. Keep in mind this (like the trucks) was a prototype not a production truck but again closer to the real thing than anything else I've driven. Power was pentiful, brakes were just as good as the trucks. I was driving 85 mph (not kilometers peewee - before you suggest it.) down the Highway passing everything in sight. Had to stop to hit my exit but there was more for the taking had I had more room. This Scorpio was equipped with a third row seat and 2nd row buckets. This is not they way they are offered overseas but I think it is likely that it will be an optional seat here in the states. You obviously dont have much room behind the third row when the seat is in but I will opt for it when my wife gets her's.

Now why are they so tight lipped???? Why dont they have web cams showing our trucks being built, loaded, shipped etc.???? Why are they actiing like they arent about to be selling trucks (no advertising, it's coming, then its delayed, there is a test drive, then theres no further information.)???? These are all questions I went down there with and asked. And, this is where my publishing rights end.

Here is what I will say and this is me talking not GV or Mahindra. It's my impression of much converstation and I will be brief and to the point.

**** If your a consumer that is upset, dissappointed, let down, peed off or just a hater by nature and you want a answer right now or your never going to consider this vehicle again.................Thanks for your time, buy a Ford!

**** If your a dealer that is skeptical because of the lack of information and feel like your getting jerked around after making an investment....... Call GV and I think they will be very understanding of your feelings and will refund your investment right away.

For those of you still with us. There is a Kick Butt Diesel truck on the horizon. Many people involved are doing everything within their power without sparing expense to make these trucks as perfect as you want them to be right out of the gate. Not a subpar version that will receive many enhancements the year after you get yours. I am a believer both as a consumer and a dealer. I have driven the truck that frankly they could have released with much success and appreciate that they want to make it better before they do.

I am ready for the finished product as I know many of you are.

I have said it before and believe now more than ever "It will be worth the wait"!

p.s. Thanks to everyone at Global Vehicles for the attention and time they gave me yesterday. Your hospitallity is second to none, very very kind. Happier that GV is the distrubutor I could not be!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:07 PM

Yeah! He's baaaacckkk!!!!

Thanks for the update. That's great to hear that the metal feels thicker than the Tacoma's. While I love my Tundra, I'm not a fan of the super thin sheet metal they covered it with (but I hear Chevy's are about as paper thin as well).

I loved the part about driving the thing over a cement barrier. I can imagine the GV guy with you..."Hey, what the crap are you doing?" "Research!" LOL!!!

Glad to hear the trip was worthwhile. Bummer to hear they're keeping your lips sealed, but, I guess we'll just have to keep waiting....

Here's hoping it's not for another eternity though. Hopefully you told them that there's about 400 people on a forum just DYING to hear ANYTHING out of them instead of this tight-lipped treatment they've been doing. But, I guess it's better than quoting a date and then completely missing it.

Hope to see one of those bad boys in Utah soon....

-Graydon
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Fantastic rep(Oops, let me wipe the drool off my keyboard.)ort. Thanks Jay for going the extra mile(s) to get us some info. And thanks to Mr. Perez for letting you.

The car sounds fantastic. I can't wait to buy one. Wait a minute, I guess I will have to after all.

All hail John and Anand for having the foresight to bring this product to America.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydonblair View Post
Yeah! He's baaaacckkk!!!!

Thanks for the update. That's great to hear that the metal feels thicker than the Tacoma's. While I love my Tundra, I'm not a fan of the super thin sheet metal they covered it with (but I hear Chevy's are about as paper thin as well).

I loved the part about driving the thing over a cement barrier. I can imagine the GV guy with you..."Hey, what the crap are you doing?" "Research!" LOL!!!

Glad to hear the trip was worthwhile. Bummer to hear they're keeping your lips sealed, but, I guess we'll just have to keep waiting....

Here's hoping it's not for another eternity though. Hopefully you told them that there's about 400 people on a forum just DYING to hear ANYTHING out of them instead of this tight-lipped treatment they've been doing. But, I guess it's better than quoting a date and then completely missing it.

Hope to see one of those bad boys in Utah soon....

-Graydon
Thanks Graydon,

They are very aware of the Forum. One guys comment was "Know about it, I'm on it everyday" They know and are as eager to distribute as we are to buy. The Indians are holding the chips now. It wont be another eternity and your right on the money. Why quote a date that will let some down?

Thanks again
Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Callimachus View Post
Fantastic rep(Oops, let me wipe the drool off my keyboard.)ort. Thanks Jay for going the extra mile(s) to get us some info. And thanks to Mr. Perez for letting you.

The car sounds fantastic. I can't wait to buy one. Wait a minute, I guess I will have to after all.

All hail John and Anand for having the foresight to bring this product to America.
Thanks Joe,

Funny stuff. I'm looking more forward to seeing the first car hauler pull up as a consumer than a dealer. (as long on the first car hauler has a black TR40 on it). Thanks for staying tuned it too. I would drive back down in a heartbeat. Very worth it!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Default Good news, now pass those certifications and get a truck here!

That sure sounds good to me, too. You see, we are really nice, gentle, positive people here at the MTForum, and we all want this to be a success. I am quite heartened to hear some news, even better to hear positive news, maybe I will be driving one of these before the end of the year.
I'm going to go don my kurtas and pyjamas and check it out in the full length mirror, imagining myself roaring down the road in my sporty new TR20, passing scooters and scaring goats with a mighty blast of the horn . . . .okay, I've been reading too many Indian adverts.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the review, I appreciate it ! It filled my heart with hopes !

I can see their reply about "not wanting to having a set date" , but what I don't understand is why do they have those cars/trucks that you test drove here? I would think that the would let you drive one of the mules or at the least a version of them, instead of a foreigner version, since they are not one or another...

Did you ask if they will still have the demo rides?? I wonder if plans have changed.
Also, any reason why not updating the website?
It seems like they have the "take or leave it" attitude right now...

Well the good news about the wheel vibration is that I will feel like the way I do on my Harley ! , Nice, a "cage" that has a vibration!!
Well, thanks again for the review, and please write some more as it comes to you. I would love to hear more details about the TR-40.
Cheers,
David
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM

Location: Currently in West Point, NY, but home will always be TX

Thanks for the report, it is good to hear that even the non-US production truck is pretty solid, shows good promise for the ones that will be coming to our shores. I assume the engine was the 2.5L that is in the Australian versions then? Just kind of curious, if you had to narrow a 0-60 time on the vehicles, what would it be comparable too? Thanks again for the good work!

"Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas, he will tell you. Otherwise, you will just embarrass him..."
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Default too much!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pee wee View Post
That sure sounds good to me, too. You see, we are really nice, gentle, positive people here at the MTForum, and we all want this to be a success. I am quite heartened to hear some news, even better to hear positive news, maybe I will be driving one of these before the end of the year.
I'm going to go don my kurtas and pyjamas and check it out in the full length mirror, imagining myself roaring down the road in my sporty new TR20, passing scooters and scaring goats with a mighty blast of the horn . . . .okay, I've been reading too many Indian adverts.

Pee Wee

Your too much!
Thanks for the comedy relief and what an Imagination you have. Hop to meet you some day. You really should be writing some skits for SNL.

Very positive I agree and a success it will be.

Thanks again,
-Jay
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the info and thanks for going through all the trouble to get it.

Did they give you any info on MPG. That is what I am most interested in. I would like a 4WD truck that gets better than 18 MPG.