Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Mahindra Technical Discussion > Mahindra Transmission

Mahindra Transmission Discussion Mahindra Transmission issues here

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 PM

Default Manual Transmission

Register to stop seeing this ad!

Just heard about this little truck about... 30 minutes ago. Been doin a little reading up on it. One big thing seems to turn me off; All I keep reading about is the six speed auto tranny. What about a manual transmission?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:24 PM

No plans that I have ever heard mentioned. I could be wrong.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Wow. Posible deal breaker for me. Anyone else?

I just can't imagine why no manual shift would be offered with a small, cheap, diesel truck? Seems like a perfect match!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Default no manual trans.

It usually goes without saying that in the world of pickups the automatic transmission non 4x4 will have the greatest towing capacity. I am guessing that M&M will market this truck as being smaller, cheaper etc. but having the capacities of its larger more expensive competition. The manual transmission would definitely reduce some of the capacity of this little big truck. This whole introduction with global and M&M does not seem to have been planned real well. Whatever issues they are having now that has caused them to NOT introduce the truck on two occassions when they said they would - should have been delt with long before Global started hpying up this
truck. Lets hope this truck is everything we want it to be - but the sequence of events has given reason to pause and reflect on little items like, will the oil filter be available so I can change my own oil. Can I buy the urea myself etc. etc. Because the dealerships will be spread pretty far out (only 400-500) thru out the US at this time - if we cant do alot of the usual stuff ourselves than a long ride to the dealer might be the order of the day. There are many senerios like this that have to be considered when introducing a new auto, especially to the pick up culture in this country..... it all should have been worked out, including any safety and govt. issues - long before Global opened up the can of worms. With all that said I am very anxious to see this truck with hopes of becoming a owner sometime in 2010.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
It usually goes without saying that in the world of pickups the automatic transmission non 4x4 will have the greatest towing capacity.
Only because of the clutch wear needed to get the rig moving. For example, Dodge's six speed manual transmission generally is rated higher in towing capacity than it's six speed auto counterpart because it has a granny first gear.

Besides - Hopefully a stick will at least be an option. Ill gladly give up some towing capacity...

Quote:
Lets hope this truck is everything we want it to be
**cheers**

Speaking of dealers - Will these little guys be sold and servied from the tractor/farm equipment dealers?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Default Don't fret too damn much

First off, automatics can pull more than manuals can, and that's a proven fact.
Secondly, you'll have paddle shifters. So if you feel the urge to drop it in first while doing sixty, you can. There, feel better?
I've had a bunch of trucks, pulled plenty of over weighted loads, and slept with more than my share of extra-durty women, but I can't for the life of me figure out why some folks gotta have a manual. I've also rock crawled in sweet money competition, with a factory Jeep four speed auto and won, over manuals.

Hell, take up smoking if you want to do something while you're driving.

Is it tattooed on your brainpans, or do you believe they're better trannys, without the hassle of service? I'm really trying to understand this mythical logic behind the 'have to have a manual' crowd, who coincidentally are huge LEFT TURN fans. Not that I'd go there, just pointing it out.
And don't give me that "They give you more control going down a steep grade with a load" nonsense, because that's almost as big of a lie as Global Warming.

There, I feel better now.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Secondly, you'll have paddle shifters. So if you feel the urge to drop it in first while doing sixty, you can. There, feel better?
I've had a bunch of trucks, pulled plenty of over weighted loads, and slept with more than my share of extra-durty women, but I can't for the life of me figure out why some folks gotta have a manual. I've also rock crawled in sweet money competition, with a factory Jeep four speed auto and won, over manuals.

Is it tattooed on your brainpans, or do you believe they're better trannys, without the hassle of service? I'm really trying to understand this mythical logic behind the 'have to have a manual' crowd, who coincidentally are huge LEFT TURN fans. Not that I'd go there, just pointing it out.
And don't give me that "They give you more control going down a steep grade with a load" nonsense, because that's almost as big of a lie as Global Warming.

I like manual trannys...good enough reason for me to get one...while they are still sold in this country.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post

No offence, Dick; but if someone wants a manual, what's the big deal? I for one like them myself too, even though auto transmissions are pretty good these days, I still like the simplistic, non-complex nature of a manual (not to mention that an automatic transmission WILL take some power away from the engine)... AND, to set the record straight a MANUAL WILL BE AVAILABLE 6 months after the auto trucks come out, from what I was told (from a dealer) the manual transmission must be certified before it can be sold in these trucks.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 AM

Default if you need more power, get a bigger engine.

My first car was a manual, and all my daily drivers for the last 35 years have been manual. It always impresses me how stupidly simple driving an automatic is- one pedal for go, one for stop, and the left foot just lies there useless. That said, I'm looking forward to not having to give my left leg such a workout in stop-and-go traffic. If I was so concerned with how much power was lost with an auto trans, I would be looking for a more powerful truck. I hear they chose to launch with only one transmission choice for economic reasons, and their research told them U.S. drivers preferred the automatic. and lots of cup holders for their big gulps. and extra wide seats for their extra wide seats. and power everything. I think some of the advice they listened to led them astray, and I'm glad to hear they will offer a choice, but I would be happy with the auto.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pee wee View Post
My first car was a manual, and all my daily drivers for the last 35 years have been manual. It always impresses me how stupidly simple driving an automatic is- one pedal for go, one for stop, and the left foot just lies there useless. That said, I'm looking forward to not having to give my left leg such a workout in stop-and-go traffic. If I was so concerned with how much power was lost with an auto trans, I would be looking for a more powerful truck. I hear they chose to launch with only one transmission choice for economic reasons, and their research told them U.S. drivers preferred the automatic. and lots of cup holders for their big gulps. and extra wide seats for their extra wide seats. and power everything. I think some of the advice they listened to led them astray, and I'm glad to hear they will offer a choice, but I would be happy with the auto.
I have to agree that driving a stick in heavy traffic can suck... I'm lucky that most of my driving is in the country... I just think that this truck would do well if there was a basic version, much like my old toyota pickup... But, you gotta have your cup holders for the big glup! That was funny!

Tags
auto manual transmission