Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Mahindra Technical Discussion > Mahindra Transmission

Mahindra Transmission Discussion Mahindra Transmission issues here

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 AM

Register to stop seeing this ad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahindraPlanet View Post
Even though I prefer a manual trans in my truck, I prefer a 1911 in my hand.
I prefer a manual transmission in my truck, yet I prefer a hydrostatic tranny in my riding mower! Go figure.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Default Manual Transmission

First thing I would like to say is that I can't wait for this truck so I can test drive it. I am interested in the regular cab long box.
As far as towing capacity goes if a automatic was better wouldn't all the heavy eighteen wheelers be sporting automatics? I know allison makes one of the best automatics on the market. I have seen them in heavy duty use like buses and straight trucks. I have never driven a eighteen wheeler that has a automatic transmission. Not saying that it couldn't work it probably would. But reliability is my concern. I know automatic transmission technology has come a long way. Preventive maintenance is also something to think about with a automatic transmission. Transmission fluid isn't real inexpensive. I know I know that there are these claims of one hundred thosand miles with no maintenance. I am not a firm believer in that.
Myself personally with a small naturally aspirated diesel engine I would rather have a manual transmission.
I also don't live in the city. If I did I would most definatly consider the automatic.
I don't even know for sure if the engine is turbo or not?
Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 PM

Welcome to the forum!

What do you drive with a n/a diesel?

The mahindra with almost certainly be turbo'd. Passing emissions otherwise would be near impossible. Not to mention have no power considering the size...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM

The 2.2 mHawk is a TD alright. That hood scoop is even functional. The intercooler sits on top of the engine ala WRX and Speed3.

-pete :whistle:

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I wouldn't know what the engine was unless I asked. Only thing I have driven lately with a natrually aspirated diesel is my bucket loader, that is old. Farther back in time than that we had a bus where I worked in 2005 that was N/A diesel 6.2L GM. What a gutless P.O.S that was. I have to travel 2 hrs to get to a dealer where I live. Latham NY is nearest to me.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:08 PM

I have 2 f-350 powerstrokes both are 2000 models both 4x4 both crewcab long box single wheel automatics. also both are the 7.3 powerstroke
1 auto 1 zf 6 manual.
The auto has 359256 actual miles on original engine/trans.
I had to pull the trans @ 245k and replace the intermediate shaft due to stripped splines. the friction parts in this thing still looked NEW! however
the valvebody was severely worn. I replaced only the necassary pieces in the trans and re installed and it still works great.
The 6 spd truck has 387811 orig. miles. The first clutch was replaced @ about 205k and the second one this week. both are great for towing the auto had a higher tow capacity when I bought these trucks. but the truth of the matter is when I have a choice I drive the 6 speed because it tows 10 times better than the auto ever thought about. as for maintenance the 6 speed would def. be cheaper to maintain. if I could not have fixed the auto trans myself it would have cost me a fortune. just my 2 cents.
Also the mpg empty is a negligable difference 16-18 but loaded heavy the auto is 8-11 approx & the man. is about 12-15.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLEE View Post
I have 2 f-350 powerstrokes both are 2000 models both 4x4 both crewcab long box single wheel automatics. also both are the 7.3 powerstroke
1 auto 1 zf 6 manual.
The auto has 359256 actual miles on original engine/trans.
I had to pull the trans @ 245k and replace the intermediate shaft due to stripped splines. the friction parts in this thing still looked NEW! however
the valvebody was severely worn. I replaced only the necassary pieces in the trans and re installed and it still works great.
The 6 spd truck has 387811 orig. miles. The first clutch was replaced @ about 205k and the second one this week. both are great for towing the auto had a higher tow capacity when I bought these trucks. but the truth of the matter is when I have a choice I drive the 6 speed because it tows 10 times better than the auto ever thought about. as for maintenance the 6 speed would def. be cheaper to maintain. if I could not have fixed the auto trans myself it would have cost me a fortune. just my 2 cents.
Also the mpg empty is a negligable difference 16-18 but loaded heavy the auto is 8-11 approx & the man. is about 12-15.
Interesting... thanks for the thread!
-pete

Old 12-09-2011, 05:25 PM

i prefer a manual, with one exception: snowplowing. not that id ever want a plow on a small truck. seems like manual transmissions are getting more and more rare these days, wether its a epa emmisions thing or consumer demand, there just arent as many available as there used to be. funny how at one time the were refered to as a "standard" transmission, because it was "standard equipment", not really the case anymore, in many cases a manual aint available at all. ahile i could understand that with a lincoln/caddilac, id think a 1/2 ton pickup should still come with some sort of manual gearbox. "three on the tree" has been extinct for years now, basic and light duty they were, but if something went wrong with them, it was a easy thing to swap one out. i personally prefered the creeper-1st 4 speeds and the manual i had in a '92 g.m. truck, the NV4500, a creeper 1st/5th overdrive 5-speed manual transmission. you could start the heaviest of loads with ease, yet still get reasonable fuel milage when running empty.

Tags
auto manual transmission