Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Mahindra Truck Forums > Mahindra TR40 Forum

Mahindra TR40 Forum Discuss the new TR40 in this Forum

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Default Get a Subie

Register to stop seeing this ad!

I was waiting for months to see the TR40 last year and I finally gave in and got a 2010 Subaru Forester. Although it can't replace a truck, munch on these numbers: I got the most basic model with a 5-speed manual, 2.5L 4-cyl and ubiquitous AWD. It came without a roof rack at all and before I added my aftermarket Thule rack, I was pulling 32 mpg on the highway (EPA estimates are 27). Even after the rack I drove at 65 mph on the highway and I got 30mpg over a 140-mile trip. And there are more quality features inside Subies than any other base model I've seen. All of that and I walked out for less than $19,500. Now they've changed the engine to make it a little more efficient, which added a $1,000 or so but probably worth it. Despite the fact that it's a gas engine (really wanted to be a little greener), I know the car will last forever - which is greener than buying a new plug-in.

If you really want to get a diesel, think about importing a diesel boxer engine from Europe some day.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Another possibility is that Mahindra was figuring their mileage using the EU test format, which results in much higher fuel economy numbers. Same vehicles are rated differently on opposite sides of the pond.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post
A full-size GM truck w/ 4WD and and the 5.3L v8 is rated at a combined 17 MPG (vs. Mahindra's 20). I realize the EPA numbers won't necessarily match real world results depending on individual drivers, but at the very least, the EPA system is a standardized test for comparing vehicles. And the full-size is SO much more truck for not much difference in MPG. After factoring in the additional cost of diesel, the Mahindra's fuel economy advantage is next to nothing.
Don't forget the cost of maintenance and repairs on these new diesels they are stupid crazy.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:44 AM

the 3.7 in the F150 might work ok but add in 4x4 and the numbers start dropping and you can't get higher trim levels or multiple doors (no crew cab 4x4 with the 3.7)

It can't haul enough either (well maybe it can if technically overloaded). It uses its capacity to haul its own fat ass around with only a little under 2000 lbs for me to use in the bed. (all Fords need to go on a 12-15% diet by the next generation, especially the trucks) specifically the 4x4 regular cab long bed with a 3.7 weighs in at 5090 lbs

If you want the full 4 doors (would be handy with my kiddo) then payload drops to about 1500 lbs and that is only available with the 5.0 or 3.5TT which are far more expensive and less efficient. It also makes the supercrew 4x4 weigh in at 5780 lbs

just ti piss me off more with the 3.7 the 4x4 shifter is back on the floor essenaitally making it a two person cab since no legs can rest there. THERE IS NO OPTION FOR ELECTRONIC SHIFTING 4x4 ON THE 3.7!!!

the GM twins aren't much different (online I can't even find out the breakdown for payload and towing)

Apparently I want something that only exists in every other country but the US
Old 02-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
It uses its capacity to haul its own fat ass around with only a little under 2000 lbs for me to use in the bed.
What the hell do you need to haul? Jebus - It's a "half ton" truck. If you really need over 2klbs get an F250.

And Im stoked to see a real transfer case stick again. You can still easily fit a person in the middle as the xfer stick is on the upper left on the transmission hump.

Now if only Ford would bring back a manual transmission. If I could rock twin sticks in a reg cab V6 that got 22mpg... Id be at the dealership tonight.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubgitmo View Post
What the hell do you need to haul? Jebus - It's a "half ton" truck. If you really need over 2klbs get an F250.

And Im stoked to see a real transfer case stick again. You can still easily fit a person in the middle as the xfer stick is on the upper left on the transmission hump.

Now if only Ford would bring back a manual transmission. If I could rock twin sticks in a reg cab V6 that got 22mpg... Id be at the dealership tonight.
Gotta agree with club on this one (ok, on most things). I have a manual transfer case shift on Blue, and he's a solid three passenger. And if u really don't want a big truck that's actually made to haul "a ton" (or want to play "third-world-bingo" and seriously overload a 4 cylinder Taco), buy a Ranger and a trailer to haul your stuff. (I'm kinda thinking along the same lines actually, although in my case it's hauling 16 ft kayaks... do I buy a long bed I no longer need, or a smaller truck and a trailer for when I need to haul the boats...).
-pete

Old 02-09-2011, 07:28 AM

the Ranger is to 1998 for my tastes and yes I really do need to haul around landscaping materials but I don't need it to tow 900,000 lbs and have 6 trillion horsepower with a $60,000 motor upgrade like everyone seems to think is needed in a 3/4 ton.

Why can every "compact" truck in the world market (Hilux, Global Ranger, Amarok, etc) haul a full metric ton (2200 lbs) in the bed but we need a $50,000 3/4 ton to be able to do the same?

I do understand the argument for having a trailer to hauls the heavy stuff around but I don't have room to store yet another thing and that's another few thousand dollars, yadda yadda. I'd rather just buy a truck that can serve all needs without having to fiddle with a trailer and storing it, etc.

I have found another mid 90's Dodge 3/4 with the Cummins and I am going to go to the auction at the end of the month to bid on it. It would be overkill for what I need but at $5-6k it would be way cheaper than buying anything new and I can run biodiesel in it to keep the costs and environmental impact down.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 AM

Don't mind me, I am just grumpy today
Old 02-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howam00 View Post
the 3.7 in the F150 might work ok but add in 4x4 and the numbers start dropping and you can't get higher trim levels or multiple doors (no crew cab 4x4 with the 3.7)

It can't haul enough either (well maybe it can if technically overloaded). It uses its capacity to haul its own fat ass around with only a little under 2000 lbs for me to use in the bed. (all Fords need to go on a 12-15% diet by the next generation, especially the trucks) specifically the 4x4 regular cab long bed with a 3.7 weighs in at 5090 lbs

If you want the full 4 doors (would be handy with my kiddo) then payload drops to about 1500 lbs and that is only available with the 5.0 or 3.5TT which are far more expensive and less efficient. It also makes the supercrew 4x4 weigh in at 5780 lbs

just ti piss me off more with the 3.7 the 4x4 shifter is back on the floor essenaitally making it a two person cab since no legs can rest there. THERE IS NO OPTION FOR ELECTRONIC SHIFTING 4x4 ON THE 3.7!!!

the GM twins aren't much different (online I can't even find out the breakdown for payload and towing)

Apparently I want something that only exists in every other country but the US
if you need info on the twins check out Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum and fyi a ex cab 3.7 tows 5500 but most of use go up to 6 and 7,000lb
Old 02-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howam00 View Post
the Ranger is to 1998 for my tastes and yes I really do need to haul around landscaping materials but I don't need it to tow 900,000 lbs and have 6 trillion horsepower with a $60,000 motor upgrade like everyone seems to think is needed in a 3/4 ton.

Why can every "compact" truck in the world market (Hilux, Global Ranger, Amarok, etc) haul a full metric ton (2200 lbs) in the bed but we need a $50,000 3/4 ton to be able to do the same?

I do understand the argument for having a trailer to hauls the heavy stuff around but I don't have room to store yet another thing and that's another few thousand dollars, yadda yadda. I'd rather just buy a truck that can serve all needs without having to fiddle with a trailer and storing it, etc.

I have found another mid 90's Dodge 3/4 with the Cummins and I am going to go to the auction at the end of the month to bid on it. It would be overkill for what I need but at $5-6k it would be way cheaper than buying anything new and I can run biodiesel in it to keep the costs and environmental impact down.
those 12 valve non common-rail Cummins' are E-Z to convert to veggie... and they like it!