Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Mahindra Truck Forums > Mahindra TR40 Forum

Mahindra TR40 Forum Discuss the new TR40 in this Forum

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Register to stop seeing this ad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
Time to pull the plug on this forum. A definite no go for me.
X n - I like the folks of this forum and would miss some of the folks BUT - but a 6 cylinder F150 will suit all my needs (space and not a lot of towing) and still get 5-6 mpg avg better than the MM. I never expected the 4x4 to reach to 30 - but these numbers are beyond the pale. Seriously pathetic.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyStrong View Post
fueleconomy.gov just posted the EPA ratings for 2011 Mahindra TR40. 19 city, 21 highway. I was never expecting the 30 MPG estimated on the website, but c'mon. 4 cyl Toyota and GM compact pickups with 4WD have similar ratings. And those are with gas, not diesel. National average for diesel right now is $0.34 higher than gasoline. Are these fuel economy ratings a misprint? If not, the one thing that would have made a Mahindra worth it for me is gone.

I tried to find something on the two wheel drive models, but for some reason the site chose to enter only the model with the lowest score. Why would that be?

Last edited by pee wee; 02-04-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Great find, ArmyStrong. Did Mahindra get the EPA report then turn around and dismiss GV because of it? Interesting.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Administrator

I wonder if in getting the truck to meet our standards that it became inefficient.

Show off your truck, start a Truck Profile today!

Current Rig:
2002 Dodge Ram Diesel
Mahindra I want: TR40
Become a new Member Here!
Want some stickers? Become a supporting member.
Interested in becoming a dealer or advertiser? Email andy@mahindratruckforum.com
Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pee wee View Post
I tried to find something on the two wheel drive models, but for some reason the site chose to enter only the model with the lowest score. Why would that be?
You were trying to find info on a 2-wheel drive TR40? They only have ratings listed for this one vehicle, so it takes you directly to the page rather than making you click on the only option. The info was just posted in the last couple days, so maybe in the future they'll have ratings for more models.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wonder if in getting the truck to meet our standards that it became inefficient.
I think that had something to do with it. Here's how I think they got their 30 MPG estimate. Now this is a bit technical, but here goes:

First off, they started with a model manufactured in India, so it already didn't have the extra weight of many of the safety features requires in the US (ABS, airbags, etc). Next they used tricks that street racers use to lighten up the vehicle even more. ie Replace steel engine parts with aluminum, remove the air conditioning, back seat and those heavy floor mats...

Then they used tricks of hypermilers to make the vehicle more aerodynamic (removed outside mirrors, taped off wheel wells, used tires no wider than a mountain bike, etc). Then when finally ready to start driving, they slowly moved up to whatever speed is required before being able to engage the cruise control, making certain not to hit 1,500 RPM. Then using the accel function on the cruise, they steadily and smoothly accelerated up to highway speeds. Which in their case must have been about 50 MPH.

They drove like this for a period of time, all the while drafting behind a M&M MN25, and viola! 30 MPG HWY.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pee wee View Post
It looks like Ford couldn't have scripted it any better- why buy a small pickup when you can drive an F-150 economically? The things that attracted me to the Mahindra: diesel engine with high fuel economy and plenty of torque, bigger bed than any of the small trucks, stout construction, less fluff, and relatively small overall size. Forget the fact that they aren't available, they look less and less desirable with every revelation. Maybe it's time to snap up one of the last Rangers with the seven foot beds . . .
Sorry to tell you but the 7ft bed was gone a few years ago, I think? Ford also missed the mark on mpg . They bragged about the F 150 epa rated at 25 hwy and the Fiesta at 40 hwy. Both missed by several miles but not as bad as Mahindra. I'm still watching the reviews on the new ford 3.7, it may be mine soon...
Old 02-04-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Sorry to tell you but the 7ft bed was gone a few years ago, I think? Ford also missed the mark on mpg . They bragged about the F 150 epa rated at 25 hwy and the Fiesta at 40 hwy. Both missed by several miles but not as bad as Mahindra.
Actually the Fiesta does get 40 mpg highway if you get the optional Super Fuel Economy Package. I would call them successful even though they charge extra for technology that comes standard on the Elantra.

I only recall the promise of a 25 mpg Explorer which they delivered and could find no reference to a 25 mpg F-150. Can you provide a reference?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Default Another Nail

Unreal numbers, far worse then I forecast last Feb'2010 in Losing Faith thread. Even adding 10% to the EPA numbers for error or a more MPG driving style these numbers are a real disappointment.

In general I have found the EPA numbers (old method at least) a bit lower then actual usage for a driver that does not rabbit start or hard brake. So I'm ready to believe their data +/- a bit.

No way I'll purchase a TR20 or TR40 with these numbers!
Once MPG is a level field between trucks then Ford's or the possible new Jeep become the first choice.

These number also increase the odds we will never see an M&M truck on our local highways . . . . they have No market separation feature now.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthern View Post
Actually the Fiesta does get 40 mpg highway if you get the optional Super Fuel Economy Package. I would call them successful even though they charge extra for technology that comes standard on the Elantra.

I only recall the promise of a 25 mpg Explorer which they delivered and could find no reference to a 25 mpg F-150. Can you provide a reference?
I read that on several auto/truck websites about a year ago. Ford also said it would have a 4x2 f150 4cyl ecoboost at 28 mpg..Ford also forgot to say the 40 mpg Fiesta was going to cost you a few grand extra when it comes standard outside the USA at 65 mpg imperial gal...Which is about 52 mpg here..