Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Mahindra Truck Forums > Mahindra TR20 Forum

Mahindra TR20 Forum Talk about the new Mahindra TR20 Pickup Truck

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:05 AM

Default TR20 <Pik-Up> Road Test (Austrailia)

Register to stop seeing this ad!

Found this while wandering aimlessly through the internet desert.
(from 2007)
http://www.caradvice.com.au/4701/200...4x4-road-test/

cheers,
-pete

Old 01-15-2010, 08:54 AM

Location: Currently in West Point, NY, but home will always be TX

Hopefully some of those quirks and flaws in the Australian version are fixed before it comes to the US. Fit and finish needs to be pretty decent if GV is going to be asking the estimated prices. Lets hope the extra HP and torque of the US version will overcome some of the slowness factor of the Aussie version. However, I do hope they keep the 4WD capability just as strong!

"Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas, he will tell you. Otherwise, you will just embarrass him..."
Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBlackKnight View Post
Hopefully some of those quirks and flaws in the Australian version are fixed before it comes to the US. Fit and finish needs to be pretty decent if GV is going to be asking the estimated prices. Lets hope the extra HP and torque of the US version will overcome some of the slowness factor of the Aussie version. However, I do hope they keep the 4WD capability just as strong!
Agree completely! I believe the US version will have ~ 30 more hp, but will be heavier also because of our safety and emissions rules. Fit and finish can't be as awful as the author describes, it'll never sell here w/ issues like those. And it certainly doesn't do an owner any good to have incredible off-road capability if the truck disintigrates around him...

here's hoping...
-pete

Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Yep, I recall that review. Hopefully that's part of the reason for the delay. We'll see.

Last edited by AZDzlPickUp; 01-15-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 AM

Default We've already got cream puffs, how about steak?

CBS just ran a story on Hyundai and their market growth, kind of made me think of Mahindra. They showed the unveiling of the 1985 Excel, and they made the contrast with the newest Sonata. The reporter asked if that early car was a "hunk of junk", and the response was no, it wasn't a hunk of junk, but it was a hunk of junk in this market (the U.S.).

I'm guessing the quality of Indian motor vehicles has risen enormously in the last ten to twenty years, but I'm also guessing that they still aren't quite up to the level of polish we are accustomed to in the U.S. market. I get the feeling that one of the big reasons for the delay in launching the Mahindras is M&M and GV are still trying to make these trucks good enough that they will be loved by reviewers and buyers. The assumption is that we expect well made, reliable, comfortable, good handling, capable, stylish, technically modern, and a bunch of other qualities we may not be able to list, but sense when one sits in and drives the truck- cabin materials, aromas, proportions/ergonomics, the way controls feels when operated and more.

I'm not sure that the concept of what kind of Mahindra truck to offer this market was fully conceived when the plans were made to come here. Do they go for inexpensive and unbreakable, albeit rough? That's what I thought they were going to do. Do they go for top of the line luxury? I think they got so much advice on what changes had to be made before the American consumer would like the truck that they went astray. You can see when you read the thread "what is your plan B truck?" that there is no comparable competition, so there was no need to fuss over cup holders and grill jewelry. They could have spent their time preparing them for crash tests and EPA certification and let it go at that. The Escalade buyer will never go for a TR20 or TR40, so Mahindra shouldn't waste time listening to their opinions and making us wait while they keep fussing over it. I know they stated they won't bring out the truck until they "get it right", but right according to whom? Take a look at the opinions on this forum- these are the people who will show up at the dealers. If we were looking for a Dodge or a Toyota we'd just go down to the dealer and get one. What is it about the Mahindra trucks that set them apart? Diesel engine power, fuel economy, big payload capacity with a small overall size. If they can stay focused on those three things and do them well, the sales will be there.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:51 AM

Right on the money Pee Wee. At least that is exactly what I am looking for. Capacity, reliability and value in a diesel powered package.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Location: Currently in West Point, NY, but home will always be TX

Great opinion pee wee, ever since I drove that 1984 Toyota Pickup 4CYL 4x4 5MT, I have been dying to have a truck that is small, capable, and slightly rough that gets decent gas mileage. Heck, if I wanted something with all the luxury items in it, I wouldn't be going for something like this. Hopefully Mahindra makes a great vehicle, as I want to get my truck dirty.

"Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas, he will tell you. Otherwise, you will just embarrass him..."
Old 03-01-2010, 06:23 PM

In general pee wee, you're right. But the VAST majority of Super Dutys (and the Dodge and GM heavy weights for that matter) come through w/ the power goodies AND cup holders (the ones on mine suck btw), and I will look for them on anything I buy. I do wish M&M was offering a standard tranny though, Blue is an auto, but we have manuals in three of our cars, and we love them!
The TRs are definitely a bit of a mix from what is here now, and is the reason I'm attracted (kinda a smaller Super Duty I'm hoping), and I can deal w/ the "old school" styling, but if they aren't built right and don't have the modern "basics", my $ go elsewhere.

cheers,
-pete

Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Peewee is talking my language. M&M is straying away from what was practical about their original truck. It was a work truck. If this new truck looks anymore like a toyota I'm gonna be sick. I prefered it squared off in the front and back as oppossed to the rounded corners on the truck now. A pto on the front end would be novel too. Having no bench seat is a turn off for me. I guess we're just supposed to stick the helper guy in the bed.
Maybe Caterpillar needs to build us guys a work truck.

Last edited by Dan; 03-03-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM

I would agree with the above posts in that I am looking for something basic. I would love to see a work truck version with a bench seat, crank windows and a manual trans. That is what is turning me off to the new trucks is so much of what I do not need or want. What I would love is a reliable truck with the basics for under 20k. It would also be nice to have something with a rubber floor, factory spray in bedliner and a tie down system that would allow for adjustments. On the other hand I do consider cup holders, A/C, and cruise to be a must.
1985 VW Golf Diesel (The donor diesel for the Sami)
1985 Chevy El Camino (Sunday Driver)