Welcome to Mahindra Truck Forum! CLICK HERE to register so that you can participate on our site.

Get a quote from a Mahindra Dealer
(after the truck's release)

Are you a Mahindra Dealer? Click Here!
Register your dealership on this site.

Go Back   Mahindra Truck Forum > Automotive & Tech Forums > BioDiesel Forum

BioDiesel Forum Bio Diesel discussion, tips and tutorials

Register for Free to see less Google Ads!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Question Biodiesel Trucks

Register to stop seeing this ad!

Is anyone currently running BioDiesel in their vehicles? I honestly don't know much about biodiesel, but are there some diesel vehicles that cannot run it?

Show off your truck, start a Truck Profile today!

Current Rig:
2002 Dodge Ram Diesel
Mahindra I want: TR40
Become a new Member Here!
Want some stickers? Become a supporting member.
Interested in becoming a dealer or advertiser? Email andy@mahindratruckforum.com
Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Some manufacturers rate the max blend at 5-20%.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a pain to even try it if all you can mix in is 5-20%. Do biodiesel stations allow you select your blend?

Current Rig:
2002 Dodge Ram Diesel
Mahindra I want: TR40
Interested in becoming a dealer or advertiser? Email andy@mahindratruckforum.com
Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM

Default locally available:

Newport Biodiesel and TH Malloy locally provide road fuels in blends B20, B50, B99, B100. Blue is kinda persnikety w/ bio (tried B100 once), but I may try again this summer if the prices hold.
They both also produce home heating varieties...
Links attached:

Newport Biodiesel - HOME

T.H. Malloy & Sons - Home

Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM

I run B100 that my neighbor makes from Hooters fryer grease. Works great smells better.
Right now at Mississippi State University they are able to make bio-diesel from raw sewage ! Bio-diesel is truly the fuel of the future in my opinion. There are also other researchers using algae that are fed the soot from power plant smokestacks to create bio-diesel. A plug-in-hybrid-powered vehicle (PHPV) like the Chevy Volt that uses a small diesel engine for the fossil component would get in excess of 400 mpg ! If such a vehicle were to use biodiesel it would be a huge win for everyone. BTW-I'm not a granola-head, I just HATE arabs !
Old 01-21-2010, 12:17 PM

I've been messing around with Biodiesel for years. It's what my business is too.

It runs extremely well in older diesel vehicles, but anything 2007 or newer is going to be a struggle to run Biodiesel in high blends with. More details on that here:
Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Ford & GM have announced plans to change the way their Diesel Particulate Filter Systems will self-clean starting in 2011 which will make running Biodiesel in higher blends MUCH easier. From 2007 through current though, if you run Biodiesel in high blends in diesel engines with the diesel particulate filters installed you risk diluting your engine oil with Biodiesel, which can cause all sorts of problems in the long run.

Also, pre-1995 diesel vehicles sometimes need to have their fuel hoses replaced with Viton hoses in order to work well with high blends of Biodiesel.

Biodiesel acts like a solvent and can break them down.

That said, barring the DPF issue, Biodiesel runs extremely well in diesel engines. I actually know the group at Mississippi State University and the work they're doing. That's cool that they're experimenting with the raw sewage now.

If you'd like to learn about Biodiesel in general, there's a great website out there called The Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial:
Welcome - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial Website

I also have several tutorial video's on my website as well at Utah Biodiesel Supply.
Here's the direct link to them:
Learn How To Make Biodiesel With Our Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Utah Biodiesel Supply

Now, about Mahindra & Biodiesel.
I called them and talked to them and out the gate they aren't going to recommend using ANY Biodiesel in the trucks.

I believe this is probably because they're using a diesel particulate filter system that regenerates INSIDE the cylinders (like most other diesels engine manufacturer's implemented in 2007). If that's the case, you can actually use Bio in them, but you'd have to change the engine oil a lot more frequently to avoid getting any oil dilution going on....or.....just rip out the Diesel Particulate Filter and install a DPF Delete Kit. However, my guess is those won't be available for Mahindra's for a very, very long time.

Also, I'm far from a granola head either. I'm just a Biodiesel nut.

Here's my website: Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Homebrewing Supplies, Equipment, Processors and Information

I'm hoping that Mahindra will recognize the importance of Biodiesel in the US market place and approve blends of Bio in their engines soon, but for now, the "official corporate answer" from GV was "No. They won't be able to use Biodiesel".

-Graydon
Old 01-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Here's how it's typically made...
Old 02-03-2010, 07:22 PM

I run it in my car. Brother runs it in an 85 Mercedes-Benz. Mom runs it in 2008 jetta tdi. Works great. We have a professional machine that does all the hardwork.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Default Biodiesel mahindra ?

Any word on a Mahindra bio-diesel, CNG/Diesel, or a Propain/Diesel set up?
Could you emagine a the milelage you would get on a Hybrid Mahindra Bio-CNG Diesel IF such a thing was possible? Would also be VERY GREEN !

Last edited by kandrwelding; 03-19-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Great thread Folks! Yes, the Biojuice is great stuff. But, make sure you know your vehicle before you use it. It can damage your engine if it is not compatable. I need more info but I think the GV guys said No Bio because they have to; for now. Based on what I've read, I don't think the 2.2 Mhawk will have the fuel injected into the exhaust stroke of the vehicles like the 2007 year model. As I understand it, that was done to burn off the particulates on the particulate trap i.e. carbon.

Now that the 'lean burn' with SCR has been approved by the EPA the traps should rarely need cleaning and may self clean just due to exhaust temps due to the lean burn system.

Lets hope they are bio-juice compatible. Actually, I believe they are; its the particulate trap that is not.

If I'm wrong PLEASE tell me why so I can learn............Thank.........J